Friday, May 1, 2009

Genesis Wisecracked.


I had a heated discussion with a colleague about My Chemical Romance and Lard. I argued how the latter is far better than the former in terms of sophistication when suddenly a voice proclaimed that Kim Chiu is far better than both combined.

After that wisecrack and considerable amount of chortle it occurred to me how diverse musical preferences are even for a small community such as a call center floor. And in this community, as far as my preferences are concerned, I could talk about music to only a handful. When I say “music” I don't mean your run-of-the-mill, corporate-sponsored kind of music but sensible tunes coming from exceptional tunesmiths.

Once, I played “Ocean” from the Dead Can Dance on the floor and people complained about the ghastly sound coming from my mobile phone. The reaction, as had been, was so predictable that in times I deliberately crank up the volume during “Avail Time” just to spite the philistine.

So people came up to me and asked, WHY? Why listen to that kind of music? To which I respectfully replied, “You hear things as it is and you ask why, but I hear things as it is not and ask why not?”

Why not listen to the Dead Can Dance? Why not immerse yourself in the eclectic sound of Beirut, Yo La Tengo and the Decemberist? These artists represent the best in their genre and highly acclaimed by critics.

Now how about the local acts? How has it been since “Local Ground?” Are the present acts worth looking into like the acts in the early 90's? Does the Zetgeist capture the same passion and vigor of the new music movement of that time?

And who the hell is Kim Chiu?

-wormtongue

1 comment:

  1. i agree its hard to compare. since "d local ground" i wud say weve moved and grown a bit howver not that much. at that time local ground was really big because it happend wen there was worldwide outbreak called grunge-nirvana, so d local boys had fun howver non of them made it to emperial manila. ever wonder why? im not really that bias of a person howver havent u notice we have our own brand of music in cebu..f u listen to budoy,faspitch,sheilaindsects,urbandub etc or even the song itsumo you might think wer closer to america than manila. despite our unique sound we havent had enough attemtion philwide. but i guess wer heading there...have you heard how urbandub made it in d nations capital? i guess the key is staying true to your music...even f others can not. hold on to what u have it may be the only thing left in you...

    ReplyDelete